Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I LOVE Tap!

So, as most of you know, I love to dance! I am a dancer through and through. Even if I am not on a team or taking classes, I am always dancing; especially when I am alone in my apartment;)

Since my depressing departure with ballroom (yes mock all you want. I danced ballroom), I have been dying to dance again. I need to continue to explore my physical and artistic abilities, right?

Anyways, so after not dancing for a year, I was about to just...die....when I decided to watch a Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers film. Fred's movies always make me feel happy inside, and they continued to do so this time as well.

So, as I was sitting on my couch watching the flick, I all of a sudden started getting really excited during one of the tap numbers. "I wish I could be Ginger," I said. And then it hit me! Why don't I? I can ballroom dance, now all I need to do is learn to tap. Clogging is part of my forte, so I thought tap would be easy. It was right then and there that I signed up for my first tap class at BYU. YAY!

I am now in my second semester in tap, and today I decided that I am not bad. I pick up steps fairly easy and I have oober fun with it. (then again, I still struggle with what I have always struggled with; performance)
Here I am, slowly turning into one of my idols, Ginger Rogers. Of course, I will never be as skinny or as beautiful as she was, but someday I hope to become just as classy.

And that is how I became a tap dancer.

1 comment:

  1. RIGHT THERE WITH YOU! I started tapping when I was twelve. I also started taking jazz and ballet around that time. I'm fair in ballet and jazz, but I don't connect with it as much as I do with tap. I took the advanced tap class my first semester at BYU, and you can't take any harder ones unless you're a dance major. Sad times. But I seriously might take the same class again just for fun because I love tapping!

    ReplyDelete