Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Supersize Me.

Supersize Me was not just a viewing for me, but an event!

I gathered with friends at McDonalds and bought lots of delicious fried food, and then made our way to my friend, KP's, house to watch Supersize Me and devour our purchases. I had only seen clips of this film before, and this time, I was really able to see just how ridiculous this film is. I felt as if Morgan Spurlock was shoving propaganda down my throat. Maybe what he was saying is true, but at the same time, they are over exaggerated and manipulated. Of course someone would gain weight if they only ate McDonalds for every meal! Only an idiot would believe otherwise. The food is grilled in grease, smothered in sauce, and topped with cheese. The whole time I was watching this documentary, I was making snide remarks on the molded truth such as this, because his "facts" were flipped around to sound worse than it really is. Then, after finding one falsely put statement, you can't help but notice the rest.

There is one scene especially that sticks out to me, and it's the one where he pukes out his window. I felt especially manipulated here because I actually did feel sick at first. However, when I thought about it, I realized what kind of a wuss would throw up McDonalds just because they've had it for the past couple of meals. Even still, that scene manipulates me in feeling sorry for the chump for not exercising.

I think that these over-exaggerations had a positive and negative effect on Spurlock's overall objective. First, the positive. Because of this harsh, fast pace take on fast food, people did become more aware of the health hazards involved. McDonalds became so attacked that now, they no longer have the "supersize me" items on the menu, and they have even added salads to make them seem more healthy.

The negative, however, is a completely different story. To a lot of viewers, Spurlock's point backfired. This documentary became so popular because people realized how ridiculous Spurlock's points were, so now, people were going out and buying McDonalds to have Supersize Me parties (like I did). By the end of the movie, the audience isn't disgusted with McDonalds, they are craving it. They are more disgusted with the filmmaking; at least, I was.

I feel if Spurlock were to have given out facts more innocently, I would have been more repulsed with fast food. Maybe if he went behind the scenes and exposed how they made the food, I would have been less likely to eat it. Perhaps if he wouldn't have gone about it so harshly, or repetitively, I wouldn't have been so offended with his cruel analysis. In fact, I found this film to be so manipulated that it is unethical. I feel it is unethical to tell someone what you are saying is true, when in fact you are bending reality. That is the overall reason why I didn't like this film.

4 comments:

  1. this is Skylar...

    I remember when this movie first came out that I thought it was such a ridiculous idea. Even back then I realized the flaws of the film and wasn't sure what he was going to point out by eating McDonald's all the time. I still haven't seen the film and I'm not sure if I really want to. It's not on the top of my list, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

    This film did have a big impact though on people, but I'm not sure if it caused a lot of change. I imagine that anyone with a brain would realize how flawed the whole experiment was. I shouldn't be too critical though because he was just trying to make a point. Sometimes we have to go over the top to get people to notice us. Sadly, that's what we flock to in our society. That would be why you can get your name in the Guiness Book of World Records for making a gigantic enchilada that just ends up being a waste of food.

    There is a movie called Super High Me where the guy follows Spurlock's example, but he does it with marijuana. I haven't seen it, but it seems to follow the same pattern. I'm sure there is something of worth in these films that I could learn, but I don't think the director really was completely honest in his approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about this movie. The unsubtly of the premise and the manipulativity of the execution sort of negate any good points the movie has for me. Is unsubtly a word? It is now.
    Super High Me, on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s been a while since I've seen this film.
    I agree that it is a very manipulative film, which could serve the purpose of the film both positively and negatively.
    All I know is that after watching this film I had not partaken of McDonald's food in America until...actually...last month. So in total time of not consuming McDonald's food, it had lasted me from 2004-2010.
    To be completely honest, I probably liked this film and was able to connect with it, and forgive the over propagandistic style, because I wasn't the biggest fan of McDonald's to begin with. Also coming from a Japanese background, and with the influences of my parents, I've always had this view of American's eating greasy, unhealthy food, primarily because of laziness of the people and the convenience/remedy of "fast food".
    Sure, it may be unrealistic to assume people would eat McDonald's on a daily basis. However, the fact that people are not so active (walking, biking, and other forms of exercise) these days, and I've seen friend's whose family's meals are primarily "fast food" does make me think that Spurlock has a point, and his exaggeration of the issue is very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good discussion here guys. Ol' Morgan does come from an MTV-reality show background but regardless of his methods, I find myself still being pretty inspired that one documentary influenced so much change in our society--and provokes such strong reactions, like we're seeing with your comments. Also, believe it or not, a lot of people aren't (or weren't) aware of the despicable practices in the fast food industry he lampoons here so I wonder if there isn't still something good to take away from his stunt here?

    ReplyDelete