Thursday, October 14, 2010

Mission: Fix the Broken

The past month, everything of mine has been breaking.
Shoes relationships
Car
Computer
Straightener, etc.

Today was the day I was to go out and replace some of these items, as well as pay off some outstanding bills.

My mother found out that my tap shoes had busted during my last class, and I needed a new pair by this Friday (aka. tomorrow).
She had been thinking of something to buy me for my birthday, and this seemed like a perfect opportunity to her. "I'll buy you your tap shoes," she texted me.

I did not argue.

I thanked her, and the next day (today) I set out to buy some nice tap shoes!
Before I did this however, I also needed to replace my straightener.

My last straightener passed away about two weeks ago. He had a long life of 6 1/2 years. He had a bad cough only a few days before he keeled over, and that was it. Barely any notice at all.
The pain I felt as I said goodbye couldn't even compare when I had to resort to using another. A borrowed straightener. My good roommate, Ahlin, sympathized with my loss, and lent me her own, but it wasn't the same. I felt like I had replaced Freddy with a prostitute of it's kind.
How low would I go to maintain that smooth texture?

Every morning as I groomed myself, I felt degraded and sick to my stomach.

"Enough is enough!" I yelled to my reflection in the mirror, "I need to buy a new Straightener."

So, I drove to Sally's Beauty Supply by Smith's in Orem; the only store I know of that sells Straighteners.
I knew this store, because this is where I bought Freddy all those years ago. It was a special place for us.
As I stood in the isle, contemplating my selection, I heard a familiar voice at the front of the store. The voice was greeting the cashier.
I turned my head and saw an unbelievable sight. My dad!
He had taken our dog Izzi to the groomers after she had rolled around in an animal carcass, making her stench even more after serving her sausage.
"Hi, dad," I called casually.
He noticed me and gave a half smile, half laugh.
As he approached me, I raced through possible reasons as to why my father would be here.
Not nails, not make-up, definitely not hair; he has none.
I couldn't think of anything.

Soon he was beside me, and surprisingly, after very little prying, he told me why he was there.
Alas, I cannot tell you why he was there, because it's supposed to be a surprise to a certain family member, and if I said it in this silly blog and it somehow reached that family member, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Laugh, probably.

Anywho, there I stood, still debating my future purchase.
My dad had run off to gather his supplies, and had already returned when I was seriously debating a $70 straightener that was also a curing iron.
As I lolled it over, my dad noticed my inner-debate, and disagreed.
"Buy this one," he said as he grabbed the $40 straightener next to it, "Here, let me put that on my card."
I was stunned. He was already half-way to the cash register, when I came to my sense. I rushed to him, thanked him, then couldn't stop smiling.
We left the store, and I floated to Dance Works, where my mom purchased my tap shoes.
Afterward, I went to the bank, and discovered I now had plenty of money left over to pay my phone bill, utilities, and tithing.

I love my parents!

1 comment:

  1. oh that's the best. praise the lord for parents. and i'm glad i could help out with the straightener :)

    ReplyDelete