Monday, March 8, 2010

Numb Eyeballs

I just got back from the dentist!
Even though I floss every night, every six months my dentist still finds one or two cavities during my cleanings.
(I guess it's making up for all the times I didn't brush when I was a kid.)

Well, usually when i get a cavity filled, my tooth doesn't get numbed all the way from the shots they give you. So, during the drilling, I'm constantly holding back tears as I feel the burning sensation reaching back all the way to my toes.
I'm a pretty shy person. Stupid, too, cause I never want to tell the dentist to stop cause I'm about to pass out. (plus, with two sets of hands and a dozen or so dentistry tools in your mouth, it's hard to get a word in).

This time, at the very first sound of drilling, I made a mumbling sound of pain.
Yes! I did it!
The dentist quickly removed all the equipment and digits out of my mouth, and shot me up once again.

However, once he started drilling again, I noticed that my eye was feeling very heavy and dry. The laughing gas mask started feeling a bit heavy too. I tried to ignore it, but I couldn't hide it for long, cause once I was done and tried standing up from the chair, my face felt like it had just gone through intense plastic surgery...still does.

I rushed to the bathroom down the hall to check out my face. There were the usual crazy lines on my face from the gas mask, and my shirt has a little ruffled, but other than that it wasn't bad. Then, I noticed that I couldn't talk. My face is frozen in a casket of jello. At least that's what it feels like. The only moveable part on my face were my eye lids and my bottom jaw. Those aren't helping too much, let me tell you. I can't even feel the oxygen flying into my nose! It's so weird.

The best part of this whole experience, though, was when I got in my car and started playing the Technicolor Phase by Owl City. Haha! Owl City and laughing gas is a great mix. I felt like I was floating on a cloud. It was just a bad idea to mix it with driving. Let's just say, I don't really remember driving home too much.

2 comments: